North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is appealing to people to take extra care when using gas cylinders after a woman received burns in an incident in Abersoch. Firefighters from Abersoch were called to the scene at an Abersoch campsite.
The woman received serious burns to her face whilst attempting to change a gas cylinder used for cooking on a commercial caravan selling fast food. She was treated by paramedics at the scene before being transferred to Ysbyty Gwynedd by ambulance.
Dafydd Llewelyn, Fire Safety Support Officer, said: "This lady was in the process of changing a gas cylinder when a release of gas caused flash flames which resulted in serious burns.
"We have been called to a number of incidents related to camping recently and although this incident is slightly different in that it involved a commercial caravan, the advice to the public and safety message we are keen to get across remains the same - please take the greatest of care with flammable fuels, follow the safety instructions and never change gas cylinders or refill camping stoves near a naked flame. Try to avoid lighting an open fire - be responsible and use a proper camping stove. Never leave naked flames unattended. We urge all similar retailers to take heed of this advice.
"When considering a camping trip away, either in a tent or a camper van, we would strongly urge everyone to take extra care. All camper vans should be fitted with a smoke detector and people can receive these completely free of charge by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service by contacting the freephone 0800 169 1234 number. A member of the Service will then be in contact to arrange a convenient time to come and install the smoke detector. Officers will also provide free fire safety advice."
People should also take extra care if they decide to light barbeques and should follow the general fire safety advice: - If you go camping or caravanning, check with landowners whether barbeques are allowed and never cook near flammable materials or long grass. - Barbecues should also be used with great care - they should be sited on a firm level base of non-flammable material, away from buildings, trees or other items which could catch fire. Once lit, the barbecue should never be left unattended, and a bucket of sand or water should be kept nearby. Children and animals should also be kept well away from the barbecue to avoid accidents. After cooking, the embers should be allowed to cool completely before disposing of them.
22nd August 2008
If you wish to be redirected to the webpage where this article appears click here. The content is displayed on our website as links often break.